Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Third world, really.

So despite living in a nice house in a gated community and having a housekeeper and a driver and all that, I still live in a third world country. There is still dirt roads, even in the city.there is poverty and wealth all mixed together in one very large city. I go to nice restaurants with steak and wine, and I go to dirt floor restaurants (which have better pork than the fancy places, you really pay for the looks here).There is such a variety here. Yes, some of my classmates have iPhones, and the ones who don't have iPhones have Balckberry's, but there is also the opposite, like homeless people on every street and so much garbage in the river that the river is just a trickle. I wasn't suprised to find that people sell things at intersections, and offer to wash windshields for just cents, but I was suprised when I saw a man selling puppies at an intersection. they looked barely a week old, and he had a whole crate of the, offering them to passing cars. It was probably the most different thing I have seen here. I wasn't appalled or anything, just I guess taken back by how up front people can be here. the man obviously drew a lot of attention to himself with the adorable little fuzzballs, therefore probably sold many. People here don't hold things back, if they need money the will ask for it. The extra 2 boliviano (the equivalent of about  cents about) will make people so grateful, and happy that someone cares. So yes, I live in a large city of around two million, and yes, there is a population of rediculously wealthy people, but there is so much poverty here, that I can really feel the weight of living in a third world country, with a large population barely making ends meet, begging for money on the street or making their children sell chicklets to people on the street. It really is the best of both worlds.

2 comments:

  1. Let me know when you see someone twirling fire sticks in the air at night near and around the traffic lights and eating the fire. Then asking the cars for money to pay for it. WOW

    See our blog too.
    www.samfields8.blogsopt.com

    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow how descriptive. I can just see the extreem contrast you are experiencing daily. I am gald you are able to articulate it and you do this well. Would you be shamed by the rich if you intereacted more with the poor? Is there a middle class that you can tell?

    ReplyDelete