Friday, September 30, 2011

The Food

       So I thought I would inform everyone on the types of food I have been eating here. After all, what is culture without food? Well, for breakfast before school I usually have some type of bread thing, maybe a crepe, muffin or toast with cheese, coffee, orange juice, and occasionally some drinkable yogurt. Breakfast is usually small, just to get through until a snack at 10 or 11. For snack time at school I normally buy a small cup of soda (1 boliviano) and an empanada, ham and cheese sandwich, Saltena (the soup in bread), or a doughnut. And then comes lunch, the biggest, most important meal of the day. Lunch for my family is always at one o'clock. Our housekeeper always prepares the meal, with my mom helping out occasionally. We start lunch with a small salad, with some kind of meat or other topping (today it was tuna wrapped in a crepe and tomatoes). Next is the main course, always a meat dish and a veggie dish, and I get my own special bowl of rice, I apparently made it clear from the start that I love rice, which I do. And we always have dessert. Maybe it's a pie, a cake, crepes with nutella, flan, custard, ice cream.....everything is always delicious, and everything is always solely for the purpose of fattening me up. I definitely would not be surprised if I double my body weight. And It's not as if I can just cut back on portion size, no, that would be like opening a bottle of fancy wine and only taking a sip, food here is never wasted. Besides, who would only take one leg of deliciously seasoned juicy and crisp chicken leg? And dinner is always different. Sometimes I will eat out with friends, sometimes my parents will have dinner at home, invite friends over, have a barbeque, go to a barbeque, host a fancy dinner party with three sets of silverware and fancy napkins, it all just depends on what you feel like doing. One thing I enjoyed was having pizza for the first time since arriving. It was incredible, no more half cooked freezer pizzas, no, this was truly the best pizza I have ever had. And we ate it with forks and knives like classy, civilized people, and not to be ironic.
       I love the food here. There has not been one food I turned down, and I have not had one regret about eating anything....Although those saltenas always get the best of me, they are still amazing.
       One thing I am positive about is that I will not be missing cheesburgers or hot dogs.


Word of the Day: Industria - industry

2 comments:

  1. And also,everything they eat here is exactly what I love. For instance, we would have delicious salad with tuna and tomatoes, chicken, rice, noodles, and crepes with nutella for dinner. Everything I love. Just perfect. It's like they know what I want to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going out for the Packer Game today (Sunday). I'll probably eat the Brat and beans. Oh, well, enjoy.

    ReplyDelete