Saturday, April 28, 2012

The Dangerous Streets

It came as no surprise to me that yesterday while walking home from the corner store, my friend and I were robbed at gunpoint. My reaction was to freeze and not do anything, Kirstens reaction was to try to tell him we didn´t have cell phones or money. He spoke to us in very good English, which threw me offguard. I didn´t think it smart to let him walk away with nothing so I gave him 40 bolivianos, the equivalent of 6 or 7 dollars, and told him I had nothing else. He grabbed us and checkd our pockets, luckily not the one that had my cell phone. He kissed us on the forhead and said thank you and walked away. We stood there stunned, hearts beating, until we realized we should get home. No one, not the neighboorhood guard outside Kirstens house, not her brother  or her dad seemed to care. They said things like ¨No pasa nada¨which means it´s not a big deal. Her father told us it´s even more dangerous in my neighboorhood across the road, I decided then and there I was NOT walking home.

I have to say I am very proud of the way we handled the situation. We didn´t cry, we didn´t have a panic attack, and we definitely didn´t pee our pants. All in all it was an unfortunate, scary event, but now we know what teh streets of Bolivia can be like. It could have been a lot worse, we kept telling ourselves.

5 comments:

  1. also this was only at around 7 pm. not late at all. not even completely dark.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and in a residencial area, not a bad neighborhood, there are really bad neighborhoods ive seen, this one is fairly nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you are safe. you acted very smart in the dire situation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry you had this experience, Hailey... I'm glad you reacted like you did and I'm VERY glad you're okay.

    I'm so looking forward to seeing you in a couple of months!!

    Your neighbor Carol

    ReplyDelete
  5. So in 1991, Matt and I were in a dark section of Madrid with our full back packs on as we were heading on a trip to another city in the country of Spain. I don't recall where we were headed, but I do recall the situation.

    We saw this dude running toward us with what seemed to be a large stick and we did the most logical thing to do..... With the fight or flight blood cruising through our veins, we split. We had no idea where we were running, but we were happy that we were in shape at the time. We out ran the dude that was after us. So ever since then, I try to keep a pocket full of spare change in the local currency to toss into the air so that they can grab the money while I make like a tree and leave.

    Yes, it could have been a lot worse for you and your friend and we know that there must be little angels on your shoulders as you are in our thoughts to arrive safely into the Waupaca Area in a few months.

    Take the ride to and fro school, exercise in the gym....

    ReplyDelete