Monday, December 26, 2011

Spanish is Beautiful

Tonight I went to a fancy dinner at my aunts house. My moms sister who I hadn't met before had a really gorgeous house with incredible chandeliers and tall ceilings, it was truly amazing. The houses in Santa Cruz always surprise me because they don;t look like much from the outside, usually just a blank wall with a door and garage door, but inside they are beautiful. The dinner was quite fancy, we sat and chatted, then served ourselves from a large table packed with all sorts of dishes. The maid came round every once and a while with fresh glasses and snacks for the table. I soon found out that the reason for the dinner was to celebrate the engagement of my aunts daughter to a man from New Zealand. he gave a wonderful toast in Spanish that was just so beautiful. I was supposed to translate it for his parents who were visiting who didn't speak a word of Spanish but even though I could understand completely what he was saying it was hard to translate because the Spanish language makes everything sound so romantic and beautiful and English just doesn't have the same meaning. But I could translate the jist of it and they were very thankful for me translating most of the night, and I had a lot of fun talking to them in English and helping them understand what people were talking about. They were very nice people and their son Jean who was getting married to my very beautiful cousin was charming and pleasant. I had a really great time and learned a lot about myself through talking with the couple from New Zealand about my life and going to college and what I want to do with my life and whatnot. I've had this strange thing happening to me lately where when I meet certain people, its like I have already known them. People I have never seen before look so familiar, like they are someone I have known my whole life. I don't know if this is another one of those crazy exchange things or just my brain making me crazy, but it provides a certain amount of comfort, so I'll just let it play out. So, New Years is coming and I might have plans to go to a small city a few hours out of Santa Cruz with my older brother Diego. We'll see. 





This is a picture of the inside of a really old church from when I went on the Rotary trip to Concepcion. 

1 comment:

  1. I am glad you are learning the romantic language of love and connecting with others. Great that you can translate. Thank you for translating to your parents our skype conversation on Christmas morning. That was nice to know you are in good hands. You have a gift of language in writing and speaking. USE your gift. you know how. Nice blogging lately. I love seeing this old church pics - want more. of the cultural aspect of bolivia.
    and maybe some every day things like the market.

    ReplyDelete