Thursday, December 8, 2011

Children Without Parents

We call them orphans. They don't have parents, but they do have a home. At least the ones I visited had a home. However dirty, crowded and unsanitary, they do what they can. All the kids have chores to help around with the cleaning, which they have a little chart to switch off duties. Everyone knew where to be and what to do at what time, it was well organized. My New Yorker friend Sarah and I each brought 3 or 4 kilos of meat, pork and beef, toys, U.S.A t-shirts, and candy for the kids for the Saint Nicolas celebration. the kids absolutely loved us, and from the second we arrived they were yelling "HERMANA! HERMANA!" from the second story balcony and hugging us and telling us stuff and asking if we were from Germany. When we told them we were from America they were overjoyed and filled with questions about our lives. "Is your life like American Pie?" "Do you go to a lot of parties?" "Do you know famous people?". I thoroughly enjoy these types of questions. Believe it or not some of my classmates who are 16 or 17 years old were asking me these same questions 2 months ago. So we told them the truth about our states and that our lives are not like American Pie. We had tons of fun giving the kids toys and candy and they were so very grateful. Watching them do flips and summersaults and walking on their hands was very interesting. I was told that some of these kids were taken off the street and put into this home, and before being in this home they were doing tricks in the street for small change. It was sad to see these children without parents, but they're spirit was so bright and they were so happy and grateful.
       It was such a wonderful experience and I am very glad I went, I may want to go again soon and just hang out with the kids, I know that makes them very happy.
       Sorry I don't have any pictures I didn't bring my camera :(

1 comment:

  1. WOW - bet this experience will stand out among the rest of your year there. Go again. Get to know them. Get names and what their dreams are. jot it down and follow their progress. Give each of them US coins from your gift lot.

    ReplyDelete